Are Testosterone and Sex Drive Related? Will Increasing My Testosterone Level Improve My Sexual Health?
Testosterone levels dictate a lot of factors such as virility, potency, sex drive and fertility in men. Due to this, there is a significant impact of an increase or decrease of testosterone levels on these factors. For these reasons, maintaining healthy testosterone levels becomes crucial for a man. Here we shall have a look at the relationship between testosterone and sex drive, sperm quality, potency etc.
What Is Testosterone?
Testosterone is the primary male sex hormone that is of great importance, especially in men. Women too have this hormone but it is produced in significantly smaller quantities.
Testosterone is necessary for maintaining sexual health in men. It also has other effects like increasing vigor, physical prowess and inner strength.
Low testosterone levels can cause various sexual problems for men. This is because testosterone and sex drive in men have a direct relationship.
Problems Caused By Low Testosterone Levels
A decline in testosterone levels can cause numerous problems in men. These not only include sexual problems but also other health problems.
The problems caused by decreased testosterone levels can be:-
- ED, premature ejaculation, impotence etc.
- Diminished Sex Drive.
- Low vitality levels.
- Muscle Loss.
- Decreased Strength.
- Decreased bone density.
- Lack of willpower or motivation.
- Anxiety and self-esteem issues.
There can be several other problems too arising from poor testosterone levels in men. The primary relationship between testosterone and sex drive, sexual performance and potency are the most talked about one.
Testosterone And Erectile Functioning
Many people suffering from decreased testosterone levels have a problem getting an erection. They face problems such as Erectile Dysfunction(ED) and reduced staying power.
Testosterone and sex drive are closely related. Also, testosterone affects blood flow to the body.
These two effects are required for getting and maintaining erections. This is how testosterone affects erectile functioning.
Testosterone And Size Drive
Penis size during intercourse is determined by the quality of erections. As discussed earlier, testosterone affects this significantly.
Testosterone improves blood flow to the penis. This can help a man attain longer, thicker erections during sexual activity.
Sex drive also has an impact on erection quality. This too affects size as testosterone and sex drive are connected to each other.
Testosterone And Sperm Production
Healthy free testosterone levels result in healthy sperm production. It may also affect sperm quality and fertility.
Not only is testosterone and sex drive related to each other but it also affects fertility. Infertile men are on average more prone to infertility.
Thus, testosterone significantly affects fertility as well.
Testosterone And Sex Drive
Being the primary male sex hormone, it obviously has a great impact on sex drive. Testosterone can have the following effects:-
- Increased sex drive.
- Better virility.
- Improved sexual stamina.
- More frequent sexual urges.
For these reasons, testosterone is considered to be the main reason for a stronger sex drive in men.
How To Improve Testosterone Levels
The amount of free testosterone in the body is what is responsible for the effects of testosterone. One should aim to improve free testosterone levels to see positive effects on male sexual health.
There are some measures you may take to improve free testosterone levels if you’re a man. Doing so can help in bettering sexual and overall well being.
The following steps can be taken:-
- Eat Sufficient Amount Of Fat: A healthy amount of fats is required for testosterone production in the body. As testosterone and sex drive are related, men on ultra low-fat diets can have a poor sex drive.
- Consume Antioxidant Rich Foods: Eating antioxidant-rich foods can help in preventing oxidative stress in the testicles where testosterone is produced. For this reason, consume foods high in antioxidants like fruits and berries.
- Lower Alcohol Intake: Drinking alcoholic beverages has been shown to reduce testosterone levels in the body. A man should avoid alcohol as much as possible due to this reason.
- Try Aphrodisiacs And Nutrients: Certain aphrodisiac ingredients and nutrients can help in elevating testosterone production naturally. Aphrodisiacs like Saw Palmetto Berry and nutrients like boron have been known to boost testosterone levels.
As testosterone and sex drive are associated to each other, it is essential that a man improves free testosterone levels to enjoy a healthy libido and sex life. There are numerous other benefits of naturally improving free testosterone levels as mentioned in this article.
Due to these reasons, it is recommended that you naturally improve free testosterone levels if you are a man. This will help you enjoy a better quality of life.